Total Pageviews

Pages

Search This Blog

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Racquetball enthusiast finds it an addicting sport


Belo Elisan warms up at Mariner Square Athletic Club in Alameda. He met his wife through the sport.

Elisan of Berkeley met his wife on the racquetball court and had his doubles partner as his best man at the wedding. If either one wants to find Elisan, 59, he's at Mariner Square Athletic Club in Alameda three nights a week and on Sundays.

Why: Racquetball is about building relationships both on and off the court. I am very fortunate to say that I have a big and beautiful community of people that I play with.

Greatest accomplishment: Being ranked No. 2 in the state in the men's doubles "A" division for the last two years. My partner, Mike Voyne, and I have moved up into the Elite Division and we're having even more fun. But clearly my greatest accomplishment is meeting my lovely bride on the racquetball court.

Gear you can't live without: My E-Force racquet. Unlike in other racquets, the strings run the full length of the E-Force and down through the entire handle, which equals more power.

Best time to train: After work. It allows me to decompress, and I always get a second wind when I'm just hitting that little ball around the court.

Most annoying thing people assume about athletes in your sport: Racquetball is a sport that is great fun for the beginner and, because of that, it can be easy to think that there is no skill involved. This is a myth.

Advice you'd give a rookie: I caution you, it is addicting.

No comments:

Post a Comment