Total Pageviews

Pages

Search This Blog

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Henshaw nationally ranked

MORGANTOWN - George "Duke" Henshaw was not only an outstanding defensive tackle for West Virginia University from 1967-69 but an excellent coach for Bobby Bowden in Morgantown from 1970-75.

That triggered a 38-year coaching career for the 6-foot-1, 220-pound native of Midlothian, Va.

But did you know that Henshaw, now retired from coaching, also is nationally-ranked as a racquetball player?

That's right. He is listed as seventh for his ranking group. He admittedly has a lot of fun playing in national tournaments.

Henshaw, now working for a recruiting firm, was in Morgantown last Saturday for the WVU Sports Hall of Fame Ceremony. He is a member of the shrine's 2006 class.

"I've always enjoyed coming back to WVU," he said. "I get more opportunities to do that now. I'm 62 years old and I love my work."

Henshaw has played racquetball with his friend Paul Lewis every time he has come to Morgantown.

Lewis works in animal science at WVU.

"He absolutely is a fabulous guy," Henshaw continued. "I think he's the best racquetball player around here of any age."

Are you tuned in, Don Nehlen?

The rankings are done by the National Racquetball Association. Henshaw said, "I may not be as good as my ranking, but the bottom line is I have a lot of fun playing racquetball."

Henshaw now resides in Dustin, Fla. His son Mike was a defensive back for WVU from 2001-04.

No comments:

Post a Comment